As we get closer to the July 4th holiday, please read the following message from Statesville Fire Marshal Pete Morrison about fireworks safety!
There are 19,500 reported fires are started by fireworks annually. More than 9,000 people nationwide were treated for firework-related injuries with 62 percent of them occurring during the month surrounding the 4th of July.
If you plan to use fireworks, please be sure to follow these guidelines:
- Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks, including sparklers.
- Make sure you are only using legal fireworks. (Sparklers, fountains, and novelty fireworks items that do not explode or are not intended to spin or to leave the ground and fly through the air.)
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire or other mishap.
- Light fireworks one at a time, then move back quickly.
- Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not ignited fully.
- Never use fireworks while impaired by alcohol or drugs.